[PlanetCCRMA] alsaplayer does not play / no gui

oliver thuns smoerk@gmx.de
Fri Mar 28 11:28:01 2003

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
>>only alsaplayer does not play anything. also it does not start display
>>any gui if started from the 'redhat' menu, but it's running in the
>>background (there is one alsaplayer process).
>

> You have to run it from a terminal as it is not smart enough to check
> for a jack server (so by default it uses alsa and alsa is busy because
> jack is using it). So try "alsplayer -o jack" from a terminal...

you are right, i don't know why i thought alsaplayer uses jack as
default. now it works (after i killed the alsaplayer in the background,
which hang jack without an error message and restarted jack. this linux
audio stuff is a mess ;-).

> If you
> are just using alsa you will also probably have problems with the RME
> card because alsaplayer tries to use alsa parameters more suited to a
> "consumer" card and does not adapt automatically to what the card can
> do...

yes, i expirenced this problem in debian, too. alsa and pro soundcards
are amazingly user unfriendly setup in comparison to windows. as every
program with alsa support has different problems with my RME card, i
assume alsa as a not very well designed interface. also jack does not
run without special parameters with my RME.

oliver

p.s.: this is the first time i have a linux running jack in realtime
mode without crashing or xruns. thanks for this great addon distribution
for redhat.