[PlanetCCRMA] xruns

Mark Knecht mknecht@controlnet.com
Wed Oct 1 08:07:02 2003

> > but it always does so with a message of:
> >  **** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.088 (or so) seconds.
> > and, stupid me, i didn't even realize that that was an error message,
>
> An xrun is either an overrun or underrun, where the computer cant keep up
> with the kernel. You'l hear it as a click or pop if theres any audio
> playing.
>
> If you see one after you first start jack, then thats normal - its only a
> problem if they occur while your actually using it.
>
> - Steve

It seems to me that Jack could be a bit more user friendly and just not
report xruns for the first second (or pick whatever time - the first 100
frames) it starts running. No one (at least I think this is true) is going
to depend on audio being transferred that fast as you still have to start up
your Jack apps, etc.

Is this a reasonable request to make of the Jack Developers?

Or maybe qjackctl could just eliminate that message to make new users feel
more comfortable?

Just a thought.

- Mark