[PlanetCCRMA] More dumbness from Aaron about planet kernel/alsa

kevin ernste kevine@esm.rochester.edu
Wed Oct 1 10:48:01 2003

--- Aaron Trumm <aaron@nquit.com> wrote:
> Ok so I know that I've got an untidy kernel/alsa mess.  I was
> thinking I
> would clean them out, then reinstall, by doing:

This should be very easy (unless we're both crazy).  I have done it
dozens of times on other systems.  Apt and rpm do an excellent job.  I
find more and more that, as the debian folks have been saying for years
about apt, I may never have to do a full reinstall again (*knocks on
wood*).

> remove:
>
>   rpm -q <stuff like possible kernel names or nothing> | more  - (to
> find

Try grep, much nicer:

rpm -qa | grep kernel

rpm -qa | grep alsa

"apt-get remove" the resulting stuff (this will remove most of Planet
too) or "rpm -e" if you prefer.  Reinstall as you stated.

One aside.  You should check that the soft links in /boot are OK.  This
doesn't matter that much since grub.conf usually points to things in
/boot directly, but this is the one area where I have seen little
issues when messing with kernel rpm's.

Kevin