[PlanetCCRMA] kernel report

Mark Knecht mknecht@controlnet.com
Wed Oct 1 13:50:02 2003

> ok.
>
> I am now booted using the "inbetween" kernel, .caps.rh90 -
> "redhat kernel with
> capabilities"
>
> and the ethernet card is fine - I THINK my HDSP patch is hummin'
> too, but I
> have yet to do any testing on that...
>
> I'll provide whatever other information helps, if wanted - just
> let me know
> what I need to give, and how to get it... :)

Aaron,
   Do an lsmod and make sure you see snd-hdsp loaded as a driver. If you do
then at least something is in memory with the right name. ;-) !! ;-)

   The HDSP 9652 will make NO noise is the sound source is a software app
unless you configure it properly before you use it. I *think* that the
default firmware does connect ADAT1 inputs to ADAT1 outputs, so assuming
that's true you can get sound through the card from port to port.

   To configure the card the grooviest app is hdspmixer. Make sure you have
rev 1.3. as whatever comes with Alsa right now won't do the job. (Waiting
for Thomas's CVS update for that.) Maybe I sent this to you earlier. I don't
remember.

   If you want to try and configure the card by hand, then you'd use amixer
commands. (I think...it's been a while now...)

amixer cset numid=5 26,0,32768
amixer cset numid=5 27,1,32768

I think that would send alsa_pcm:playback_1 (#26) to ADAT-1-Chan-1 (#0) at
50% volume and alsa_pcm:playback_2 (#27) to ADAT-1-Chan-2 (#1) at 50% also.

Input numbers

ADAT Inputs: 0-25
Software Inputs: 26-51

ADAT Outputs: 0-25

The ADAT inputs correspond directly to alsa_pcm:capture_1:26

   You'll love hdspmixer, once you learn how to use it. It's a bit daunting
the first time you use it, but it's actually quite efficient at what it
does. (If not a little power hungry unfortunately...)

Good luck,
Mark