[PlanetCCRMA] m-audio Delta 1010

Aaron Heller heller@ai.sri.com
Thu Oct 2 10:51:02 2003

kevin ernste wrote:

>--- Aaron Heller <heller@ai.sri.com> wrote:
>
>>Does anyone here use a Delta1010?
>>

>I use a 1010 and it works well, no noise.  The power thing shouldn't be
>an issue as it comes with its own wall-wart.
>
>My guess is an incompatibility with the input, do you have it set to +4
>or -10 and what is this input coming from, a preamp, a mixer, etc?
>What kind of output does that device have (more than likely, its a -10
>device, so you have to toggle the input channel to that on the back of
>the breakout box).  Each channel can be set individually depending on
>the source.

Thanks for the feedback, but the noise is about 70dB higher that it
should be (-30dBfs vs. -100dBfs), so this is more than could be
accounted for by an error in the input gain setting (should be about a
13 dB difference in gain between the "+4" and "-10" settings).  Also I
only see it at 88.2 and 96 kHz sample rates.  If it were a problem with
the input gain or some other analog incompatibility, I think I'd see it
at all sample rates.

I'm converging on the idea that I have a defective unit.  Unless the
windows installer or driver does something like secretly updating the
on-board firmware, I can't imagine what I'd learn from testing under
windows, so I think it is time to pack it up and return it. Thanks for
all the help and sorry if this was too far off topic for this list.

>By the way, I recently posted an asound.conf for the 1010 on the
>OpenSrc wiki site for alsa.  It is based on one I found elsewhere,
>allowing you to access stereo pairs independently or together, etc but
>I added access to the "digital mix" or "monitor mix", nice for
>recording all inputs up in the envy24control.

I'll take a look.  Thanks!

Aaron Heller <heller@ai.sri.com>