[PlanetCCRMA] Some apps not working correctly under ALSA?

Mark Knecht markknecht@comcast.net
Thu Oct 2 19:51:02 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 19:27, Michael wrote:

> Observations / Questions:
> Jack will start only after I disable arts, which seems to be the norm,

normal

> from what I've read. I can play DVDs and audio CDs with Mplayer and
> KsCD. Is this correct?

sounds right

> Ardour will boot and run fine, but doesn't convert audio correctly.

been there, done that. Yep for me too.

>  If I
> import a CD audio track, it plays back at a faster rate. Is Ardour
> supposed to convert 44.1khz to 48khz automatically?

No, Ardour just runs as a slave to Jack, and Jack defaults to 48K if you
don't tell it to do differently. Use qjackctl or the command line
version, like:

jackstart -v -d alsa -r 44100 -d hw

and you should be alright. (Please check the command above. I'm doing
this from memory.

> Zynaddsubfx synth shows audio on the meters, but I can't hear it.

Use qjackctl or qjackconnect to hook it up.

> Rosegard shows MIDI playing on the meters as well, but I can't hear it
> either.

Use kaconnect to hook the MIDI up to something. (Maybe...) ;-)

> Xmms will play an audio CD on the DVD, but if I try to play it digitally
> through the burner, I can't hear it. In fact, the scope line in Xmms is
> just a steady line.
>
> Which mixer to use with Alsa: Qamix, Alsamixer, Sound Mixer, Volume
> Control? I seem to have no less than 4 mixers to choose from.

Usually alsamixer for many sound cards. Not sure about yours.

> Any drivers available to use my Audiomedia III card with Ardour?

Ardour is just a Jack app. Anything that works with Alsa and Jack will
work with Ardour.