[PlanetCCRMA] new laptop... new kernel... new distro...

Fri Oct 3 12:16:02 2003

> I found a creative new way to torment myself.  I decided to install
> fedora on my new dell inspiron 5100 along with the planet.  (I LOVE
> being an early adopter... guess that makes me a masochist).

I guess.... there goes Ryan again, installing alpha software :-)

> Things actually worked out quite well.  All the (few) planet packages
> I've tried install and work fine EXCEPT ardour which just pukes and
> dies instantly (though oddly it worked ONCE and only once).

Most probably anything that is c++ based will fail (ardour, muse,
rosegarden come to mind). Just get the source rpm and rebuild it (well,
just get _all_ the source rpms, rebuilt everything and we'll get a
planet fedora repository in no time :-)

He he he he....

> -sometimes init hangs when initializing firewire, sometimes it works
> fine

Somebody else was also reporting problems with firewire. This is, I
assume with 2.4.22-6.ll? Just this morning I fired 2.4.22-8.ll (based on
2.4.23-rc6) and after 1/2 hour my machine froze. Not a good start, I
guess....... not much I can do either (except to try again later).

> -apci power management stuff things look good when booting but somehow
> things don't work as they should (I've read that I'll need to apply a
> dsdt.dat kernel patch using the Intel iasl compiler which      can be
> downloaded from
> http://www.intel.com/technology/iapc/acpi/downloads.htm) I'll need to
> recompile the kernel too :-(
>
> -UGLY font rendering... gonna try to compile freetype with bytehinting
> support to try and clear things up (any hints getting antialiasing to
> look good on a laptop appreciated)

Hmmm, on the stock install? Meaning it does not look as good (or bad) as
RedHat 9? That is bad news...

-- Fernando