[PlanetCCRMA] Kernels and more kernels...

James van Zeeland james@dvzproperty.com
Tue Oct 7 08:22:01 2003

Thanks nando. 2.4.22-6.ll kernel seems to behave very nicely.

The polled Rx mode for e1000 NIC has resolved issues with NFS root
machines locking up under certain heavy traffic conditions.

Currently I am copying the kernel source from /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/ and
creating a new .config and compiling in /usr/src/linux.

Worked fine until I realised that having compiled alsa to suit from
.src.rpm that apt and synaptic now saw alsa-kernel-2.4.22-6.ll.NFS as
having broken dependencies to a kernel-2.4.22-6.ll.NFS package that, of
course, doesn't exist.

I think I read somewhere on CCRMA that I can copy the .config back to
the rpmbuild tree and have my custom config applied to the .rpm
build...Yes?

Is changing the version ( as one would in the kernel makefile )
something that is easily done to the .src.rpm tree? Do I just edit a
makefile somewhere?

Some other feedback....I went to try the 2.4.20-1.caps on local server,
and it failed on devfs just like every other RH9 kernel I've tried.
:-(...I need devfs, so I'm trying the 2.4.22-6.ll kernel sans some of
the latency stuff. :-) Oh yes, that then failed on I2C...via mainboard
interface, I think. I had most of the other I2C options off, so I just
turned it all off and all is now fine. Is the mainboard sensors and some
of the I2C stuff new to this CCRMA kernel?