[PlanetCCRMA] Dependency question

James van Zeeland james@dvzproperty.com
Fri Oct 10 16:50:02 2003

Currently assessing Ximian desktop as a contender for a desktop
roll-out, in lieu of MS indoze. The target application is more office
workstations than CCRMA, but I decided to see what level of
cross-compatibility there is.

This probably isn't really a CCRMA question, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Ximian installed fine over a current CCRMA install, I have, however,
found one broken dependency that doesn't seem to be an operational
problem until I want to do a synaptic update.

db4 has a broken dependency to db1, which is installed, but ximian
versioned.

Is there anything I can do to get apt/synaptic to overlook this specific
broken dep, or is uninstalling ximian going to be the only real solution
here? Perhaps I should compile from source? would ripping out the ximian
db1 and replacing with stock db1 do anything nasty? I reckon
apt/synaptic would then want to remove ximian rather than planet. And
ximians update software would have a hissy fit too.

Having had a good look at it, Ximian seems very polished in some
regards, and  lacking in others. For an office desktop that does email,
browsing, wordprocessing et al 9 till 5, it's probably going to be
great. For power users, well, I'm wishing it had a bit more of this or a
bit of that. Really like some bits, not others....

In any case, I would like to be able to have it alongside CCRMA....

looks to me that if I can get apt to ignore the db1 ximian package
dependency, there wouldn't be a problem.

Perhaps I should ask ximian, eh?

tips appreciated.

ta

James