[PlanetCCRMA] primetime?

Mark Knecht markknecht@comcast.net
Mon Oct 13 09:16:02 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 08:09, Aaron wrote:
> And while were on the subject, most gui daw programs have a
> nondistructive normalize. The use of jack is great but I can't stand
> having to export to a wav to normalize and then put it back into
> ardour...
>
> I was wondering is there was a way to fool ardour into sending a
> selection to ecasounds normalize and then have it update. I asked on the
> ardour list a while back and was told no. This is pretty basic
> stuff.....
> Aaron

Aaron,
   If the Ardour guys told you it couldn't be done in Ardour, then I'd
assume they were right about that.

   How about this hack...Take your track in Ardour, and through Jack
send it out to something like JAMin, Steve Harris's multi-band
compressor, and then back into Ardour from Jack and rerecord it. I
*think* JAMin has a make-up gain control, You should be able to push
that up, do some adjustments to the compressor to make sure you're not
lighting up too much, and get a nice loud (i.e. - normalized) signal.

   Just a hack, but it should work.

Cheers,
Mark