[PlanetCCRMA] primetime?

Mark Knecht markknecht@comcast.net
Mon Oct 13 10:24:02 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 10:07, Aaron wrote:
> > Aaron,
> >    If the Ardour guys told you it couldn't be done in Ardour, then I'd
> > assume they were right about that.
> >
> >    How about this hack...Take your track in Ardour, and through Jack
> > send it out to something like JAMin, Steve Harris's multi-band
> > compressor, and then back into Ardour from Jack and rerecord it. I
> > *think* JAMin has a make-up gain control, You should be able to push
> > that up, do some adjustments to the compressor to make sure you're not
> > lighting up too much, and get a nice loud (i.e. - normalized) signal.
> >
> >    Just a hack, but it should work.
> Not exactly what I meant but I guess it will work.
> In sampletude I highlight the sample and press N and it does a
> nondistructive normalize. This the people in ardour said was possible
> but that they weren't programming this type of effect they were
> concentrating on realtime effects...

Like I said. It's a hack. Ardour is not Samplitude. It's not Pro Tools.
It's not Logic or Cubase SX. It's Ardour. ;-)

I understand how normalize works in Samplitude, and TTBOMK it's not
here, which is why I made this feeble suggestion. Take it for what it's
worth. If that's not to your liking, then maybe Rezound or Audacity
would get it done for you more easily.

Get used to wanting things in Ardour. Make you requests. The developers
are really pretty good about working on stuff that makes sense to them
and that multiple people want. A year ago I was pushing for stereo
tracks. Ardour coughed that up, and much more. It's a good program when
you use it for what it was designed to do.

- Mark