[PlanetCCRMA] Re: Hiss, Noise reduction etc

Alejandro Fernandez a.fernandez@bristol.ac.uk
Fri Oct 17 02:28:02 2003

Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

I got the most recent GWC version from sourceforge, and ran .configure:

(...)
checking for sf_open in -lsndfile... no
configure: error:

 Libsndfile 1.0.0 or greater not found, find it at:
             http://www.zip.com.au/~erikd/libsndfile/
---
OR perhaps you have installed it and libsndfile.so.1's
path is not in /etc/ld.so.conf ("man ldconfig" for help)?
[root@acer gwc-0.19-10]# locate libsndfile.so.1
/usr/lib/sane/libsndfile.so.1
/usr/lib/libsndfile.so.1
/usr/lib/libsndfile.so.1.0.5

I think ld.so.conf doesn't need usr/lib in it... It should search there
by default, shouldn't it?

There's also an rpm:

[root@ale gwc-0.19-10]# rpm -Uvh /home/ale/.Trash/gwc-0.17-78.i586.rpm
warning: /home/ale/.Trash/gwc-0.17-78.i586.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY,
key ID 9c800aca
error: Failed dependencies:
        libdfftw.so.2 is needed by gwc-0.17-78
        libdrfftw.so.2 is needed by gwc-0.17-78
[root@ale gwc-0.19-10]# locate fftw.so
/usr/lib/libfftw.so.2
/usr/lib/libfftw.so.2.0.7
/usr/lib/librfftw.so.2
/usr/lib/librfftw.so.2.0.7
/usr/lib/libsfftw.so.2
/usr/lib/libsfftw.so.2.0.7
/usr/lib/libsrfftw.so.2
/usr/lib/libsrfftw.so.2.0.7
/usr/lib/libfftw.so
/usr/lib/librfftw.so
/usr/lib/libsfftw.so
/usr/lib/libsrfftw.so

Looks like it's suffering from extremely-old-rpm-itis...

On the other hand, I've been using sweep, but I can't get any ladspa
plugin to actually compress - mostly because I don't understand the
parameters, or the basics of sound waves or compressing the bits I want
out of them. Do you think you could walk me through a typical use of it
to eliminate background noise that was audible on it's own somewhere in
the track? (Unless gwc is somehow runnable!)

Thanks,

Ale