[PlanetCCRMA] Re: Hiss, Noise reduction etc

Andrew Burgess aab@cichlid.com
Fri Oct 17 09:27:01 2003

>I got the most recent GWC version from sourceforge, and ran .configure:

>(...)
>checking for sf_open in -lsndfile... no
>configure: error:

> Libsndfile 1.0.0 or greater not found, find it at:
>             http://www.zip.com.au/~erikd/libsndfile/
>---
>OR perhaps you have installed it and libsndfile.so.1's
>path is not in /etc/ld.so.conf ("man ldconfig" for help)?
>[root@acer gwc-0.19-10]# locate libsndfile.so.1
>/usr/lib/sane/libsndfile.so.1
>/usr/lib/libsndfile.so.1
>/usr/lib/libsndfile.so.1.0.5

My gwc and libsndfile versions are the same as yours so this is a bit odd...

Is the libsndfile install new? Maybe you just need to run ldconfig.

Another thing to try is to find the place in configure where the sndfile version
is checked and comment it out but if configure can't find sf_open in -lsndfile
then the final link probably won't either.

>On the other hand, I've been using sweep, but I can't get any ladspa
>plugin to actually compress - mostly because I don't understand the
>parameters, or the basics of sound waves or compressing the bits I want
>out of them. Do you think you could walk me through a typical use of it
>to eliminate background noise that was audible on it's own somewhere in
>the track?

I haven't groked the ladspa plugins yet either! You might try sox which
has more explicit documentation and examples about the compress effect.

>(Unless gwc is somehow runnable!)

See above