[PlanetCCRMA] mkswap question

Mark Knecht markknecht@comcast.net
Sat Oct 18 20:32:01 2003

On Sat, 2003-10-18 at 19:04, Aaron wrote:
> HM, Is there a way to run multiple linux distros on multiple
> partitions???

Absolutely! I just install them in their own partitions, and then I take
my normal 'master' Linux distro and edit it's grub.conf file to boot the
other distros. It's not hard to do at all.

> I have been toying with debian on and off, but usually get frustrated
> and endup formatting an adding rh again with planet.
>
> But I would love to be able to test a few distros to see which ones
> really do what I need. RH 9.0 has some flaws for hebrew support.
> The newest libs and kde support hebrew better, I would love to have two
> rh versions on the same box.....
> And what about suns javadesktop???
>
> The problem I see with Partition magic is that it must first be run from
> windows...

That's the reason I have a DOS partition. I load System Commander there,
and then I run Norton Ghost from there. 30MB partiton is way more than
enough.

> Then how do I tell a boot loader that each distro is seperate and that
> my home is the same??? Is it even possible to have only one home in such
> a situation.
> The possibliites are most interesting.

In my case I actually have each distro have it's own home, but I keep my data
on a data partition that I mount in every distro. That way I have all my stuff
handy. It works pretty well, but I have had some problems with
Evolution.

> I wouldn't probably dual boot with windows but linux hmm
> Aaron

- Mark