[PlanetCCRMA] dependancies

Mon Oct 27 10:12:01 2003

> I have a dependency snafu that perhaps someone can enlighten me about.
>
> (1) I have to run kernel#2.4.21 or later to get support for my networking
> chip.
> (2) I cannot install Planet CCRMA stuff because I don't have kernel#2.4.20.
> (3) 'apt-get -f install' cannot fix the dependencies because kernel#2.4.20
> will not install, because kernel#2.4.21 is recognized as being newer and
> already installed.
>
> Does anyone know of a clean way out of this mess?
>
> I do not understand why kernel dependencies fail when the installed kernel
> version is obviously later than the required version.
>
> Any advice appreciated.

You have to use a command line option to apt-get to enable rpm to
install kernels "older" than the latest one installed. Otherwise rpm
complains and the kernel is not installed. Most probably this is the
result of doing a "dist-upgrade" when you do not have the latest kernel
installed.

"Apt-get dist-upgrade" is not a good way to upgrade the kernel and alsa
driver (and I have not found a good solution to this problem yet).
Follow the instructions in the kernel install page (or in the changelog,
search for the latest kernel "news"). The apt-get incantation outlined
there will install the proper (latest) kernel. After that a
"dist-upgrade" will work fine(*).

-- Fernando

(*) Why does it NOT work the first time? There are two kernels available
to resolve the alsa dependencies (ie: alsa-lib that needs alsa-driver
that need alsa-kernel that needs a matching kernel). Dist-upgrade picks
up the first it finds. Regretfully that is the one for the RedHat kernel
with capabilities enabled. Which is "older" than the latest Planet CCRMA
kernel you already have installed. Apt does not know this, but rpm will
not install an older package without a command line override. So apt
tries to do the right thing, rpm barfs and the install fails. This only
happens on things like kernels, where you can have more than one package
of the same name ("kernel-*") installed.