[PlanetCCRMA] dependancies

Mon Oct 27 11:46:01 2003

> Thanks for your reply (and welcome back!).

It was a good trip... it was quite cold in Paris but the "install
parties" at IRCAM and the free software session during the Resonances
2003 festival were good (or so it seemed to me).

> Below is what happens when I follow the instructions in the kernel install
> page and then the change log.  In both cases, I cannot seem to escape
> dependency on the patched Red Hat kernel (2.4.20), which is too old for me
> to use, even though I am trying to install the latest Plant CCRMA kernel
> (2.4.22):
>
> # apt-get -o RPM::Install-Options::=--oldpackage install planetccrma-core
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
>    alsa-kernel-2.4.20-20.1.caps.rh90: Depends: kernel-version (=
> 2.4.20-20.1.caps.rh90)
>                                       Depends: kernel-version-arch (=
> 2.4.20-20.1.caps.rh90-i686)
>    planetccrma-core: Depends: kernel-version-arch (= 2.4.22-6.ll.rh90-i686)
>                      Depends: alsa-kernel-arch-2.4.22-6.ll.rh90 (=
> 0.9.6-2.cvs.rh90-i686)
> E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
> specify a solution).

The problem is that you have to fix the dependencies before trying to
proceed (they are currently broken because the dist-upgrade picked up
the 2.4.20-20.1 kernel which failed to install BUT the alsa-kernel
install that happens right after that did _not_ fail - that is a bug, I
would say, in apt). So...

Remove the planetccrma-core package:
  rpm -e planetccrma-core
It is just a virtual package and in your current state it has unmet
dependencies.

Uninstall the alsa-kernel package that corresponds to 2.4.20-20.1:
  rpm -e alsa-kernel-2.4.20-20.1.caps.rh90
Hopefully that should not trigger further dependencies. You are (ahem,
should be :-)) now ready to install the new kernel as per the
insttructions...

> Do you think it might work to temporarily install kernel 2.4.20 using the
> --force option of RPM, followed by an installation of the Planet CCRMA
> kernel (2.4.22)?  Could anything get broken by forcing a kernel installation?

You do not need to force it at all, just install
planetccrma-core-redhat. That could also be a solution.

Anyway, the "core" (pun not intended :-) of the problem is that you have
unmet dependencies, that has to be fixed somehow before apt can be used
again (and it was not your fault but apt itself that created the problem
in the first place).

-- Fernando