[PlanetCCRMA] kernel and root

Florin Andrei planetccrma@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Mon Oct 27 17:40:02 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 16:14, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > If i understand the documentation correctly, then if it's ok in my
> > particular case to run all media applications as root, then i don't have
> > to use the PlanetCCRMA-modified Red Hat kernel, but i could use the
> > original Red Hat kernel?
>
> Mostly correct. You would also need to build the kernel module packages
> for alsa for the original redhat kernel as those are not provided by the
> Planet CCRMA repository.

Yes, of course.

> Do you have a reason why you need to run the original RedHat kernel?

I realised i'm wasting too much time with tweaking stuff. Basically,
what i want is something that "simply works", no tweaks, don't change
anything.
Not to mention that, if i want two or more different sets of tweaks
(think: CCRMA and XFS) then i _must_ rebuild various things.

I'm not concerned with the technical difficulty of doing that (i'm using
Linux since around '95, built hundreds of kernels, wrote a kernel module
or two, made two distributions from scratch, etc.), but i only have so
much time to spare.
I realised it's probably ok to compile apps myself, but i'd rather not
continue to mess with the kernel (or mess too much with the kernel) or
with any packages that a lot of other packages depend on, on my
workstation. Sure i can solve problems when/if they come up, but what i
want to avoid is creating problems to begin with.
It's probably another step in my ongoing process of moving away from the
position of a "geek", and becoming more of a "dumb user" in those fields
that are not related to my daily job. Otherwise, i'd have to handle a
lot more effort than i can afford.

And I believe it's ok to run stuff as root in the particular case of my
environment.

I'm pretty much decided to follow that path, i just wanted to make sure
i'm not losing anything.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/