[PlanetCCRMA] Ardour 0.9beta7 segfaults

Sampo Savolainen v2@iki.fi
Tue Oct 28 11:09:01 2003

It has been a bit of a struggle to get the Quattro working. I probably
should try writing some sort of a guide.

1. The usb controller you plug the Quattro in should use IRQ9.

2. Don't let the OSS usb-audio driver to load.
   If you use hotplug, put usb-midi & audio in the hotplug blacklist.

3. jackstart -R -t 1000 -d alsa -d quattro1 -r 48000 -p 256 -n 4 -H -M
   (I use qjackctl, but this is what my configuration boils down to.)

One problem I have with the Quattro, is that sometimes tha alsa drivers
don't initialize the quattro properly. When that happens, all input, and
sometimes output has a huge digital gain (+150db or something?).

For this problem I created a script which plays a wav file with aplay,
then records a file with arecord and analyses the recorded soundfile. If
the soundfile is too loud (=gain problem), the script restarts the
snd-usb-audio driver and starts from the top.

Also, a tip for midi: midi doesn't work if there is equipment plugged in
when you load the driver.

(btw. I'm not using the newest ccrma kernel, I'm using
2.4.21-1.ll.acpi).

 Hope this helps.
   Sampo