[PlanetCCRMA] Re: [Jackit-devel] Jack development package name difference between RH and SuSE (Re: [jmax] Problem with jMax 4.0.2 on SuSE Linux 8.2)

Jack O'Quin joq@io.com
Wed Oct 29 09:05:02 2003

"Andreas Kuckartz" <A.Kuckartz@ping.de> writes:

> The is a problem due to different names of the jack development
> packages on RH9 and SuSE 8.2. The names used are
> "jack-audio-connection-kit-devel" and "jack-devel" respectively.
>
> I have found a single RPM file (for an older version of the jack
> devkit) which provides both packages,
> "jack-audio-connection-kit-devel" and "jack-devel". That could be a
> solution. But if I am correct than the jack development kit RPMs on
> ccrma-planet currently provide only
> "jack-audio-connection-kit-devel". Could you add "jack-devel" as an
> additional name for the package?

The JACK developers don't handle binary packaging.  That is done by
CCRMA, SuSE, Red Hat, Debian, etc.  Each has its own process for
creating and naming packages.

In SourceForge (and Debian) there was already a different package
named `jack' (a combined CD ripper and encoder).  That is why the long
name (jack-audio-connection-kit) was selected.  There is a
`jack.spec.in' file in CVS, which seems mostly to be updated by Nando,
of Planet CCRMA fame.  It uses the name everyone agreed to.

I believe the name `jack-devel' is just wrong.  It *may* not even be
the connection kit package you think it is.  If SuSE really is
packaging the `jack-audio-connection-kit' under the name `jack'
someone should contact them and ask them to correct the error.
--
  joq