[PlanetCCRMA] Enabling MIDI on second sound card

Mark Knecht markknecht@comcast.net
Thu Oct 30 09:14:01 2003

Hi,
   This is a configuration question. Thanks in advance.

   My PlanetCCRMA box used to have a MidiSport 2x2, but I'm using that
device elsewhere now and I have just developed need for MIDI input on
this PC. The box has an unused AP2496 which supplies MIDI input when the
PC is running Windows. I'd like to enable the MIDI ports on this card
under Linux. How do I do this?

   I don't particularly care about audio on the AP2496 as the box has a
Hammerfall, so I'd be happiest to leave that turned off if possible.

   How can I enable the MIDI ports on the card CORRECTLY? What drivers
would I load in modules.conf to get just MIDI. (If possible...) The
current contents of this file are:

alias eth0 3c59x
alias usb-controller usb-uhci
# -- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. --
# -- ALSACONF verion 0.9.0 --
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-rme9652
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
options snd major=116 cards_limit=1
options snd-rme9652 index=0
# -- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. --
# -- Keep modules from being autocleaned
add options -k snd-card-0

I tried

modprobe snd-ice1712

which loaded. At this point I appear to have both sound and MIDI, as per
lsmod and aconnect, but I did not testing.

To try to make this permanent, I modified modules.conf to look like:

alias eth0 3c59x
alias usb-controller usb-uhci
# -- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. --
# -- ALSACONF verion 0.9.0 --
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-rme9652

alias snd-card-1 snd-ice1712

alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
options snd major=116 cards_limit=2
options snd-rme9652 index=0

options snd-ice1712 index=1

# -- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. --
# -- Keep modules from being autocleaned
add options -k snd-card-0
add options -k snd-card-1

Does this look right? This seems to get the drivers loaded, and a MIDI
device is now seen by aconnect, but the MIDI device does not seem to be
working so I suspect that I'm missing something.

Thanks in advance,
Mark