[PlanetCCRMA] dist-upgrade

Fri Oct 31 18:25:02 2003

> Got the latest sources.list and updated apt.conf with the --oldpackage
> option. This is what I got when I ran a dist-upgrade:
>
> [root@athos apt]# apt-get dist-upgrade
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Calculating Upgrade... Done
> The following packages will be upgraded
>   gtkmm libfluidsynth libsigc++
>   The following NEW packages will be installed:
>     kernel#2.4.20-13.8 kernel#2.4.20-20.1.caps.rh80 libsigc++10 midishare
> 	  midishare-kernel-2.4.20-20.1.caps.rh80
> 	  3 packages upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 removed and 0 not upgraded.
> 	  Need to get 28.5MB of archives.
> 	  After unpacking 64.3MB of additional disk space will be used.
> 	  Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
> 	  Abort.
>
> [root@athos apt]# uname -a
> Linux athos 2.4.22-6.ll.rh80 #1 Wed Sep 10 15:59:31 PDT 2003 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
>
> I should really only get one kernel

Yes, that's true.

> and I've never had midishare installed so I shouldn't be getting it now, right?

Yes and no :-) The new version of fluidsynth needs midishare so that it
is being pulled in. But midishare needs the midishare kernel module so
it gets included. And then _it_ need a matching kernel, as usual with
dist-upgrade we cannot really pick the one we want so we get the wrong
one (2.4.20-20.1.caps).

To solve this:
  apt-get install planetccrma-midishare
This will get the proper midishare for your kernel.
After that a dist-upgrade should work fine.

I have no idea why kernel#2.4.20-13.8 got selected...

I did not want to do this but apparently I will have to add
planetccrma-midishare to the dependencies of the planetccrma-core
package so the right one gets selected and installed (as is the case
with alsa).

-- Fernando