[PlanetCCRMA] Re: managing mulitple repositories

Benjamin Hardy theroboticmadhatter3000@hotmail.com
Thu Apr 1 01:37:02 2004

Just a couple of questions:
what other repositories are out there that are Planet CCRMA friendly?
why apt.kde-redhat.org? Well, perhaps that's obvious in that the repository
doesn't conflict, but is it specifically for kde users and not gnome or
xfce?

___________________
Bruce Elliott wrote:

>It sounds like I should do what you did, but there are still a few things
>(okay, more than a few) that I don't understand.  (Questions embedded
>below.)
>
>Lawrie Abbott wrote:
>
>>Bruce Elliott wrote:
>>
>>>I have removed the later version of apt that I'd gotten from the
>>>kde-redhat repository, and reinstalled the one from Planet CCRMA.  Before
>>>I attempt to do any more apt-get updates, however, I'd like to understand
>>>how apt works a little better so that I can avoid shooting off my other
>>>foot this time.
>>

>>First let me tell you that I'm not  an apt guru ... just letting you know
>>what Ive found by the trial and error method :)
>>
>>>I currently have the Planet CCRMA sources.list and apt.conf in my
>>>/etc/apt/ directory, but there is also kde-redhat.list in the
>>>/etc/apt/sources.list.d/  directory.  How does apt decide which one to
>>>use?  Should I also have a similar "ccrma.list" file in this directory,
>>>and if so, should there still be a sources.list in the parent directory
>>>(/etc/apt/)?
>>>
>>>What about the apt.conf file?  I have an apt.conf.d directory, but it has
>>>nothing in it.  Can apt work with separate apt.conf files for different
>>>packages from different repositories?
>>

>>Apt can use both the apt/sources.list and apt/source.list.d/sources.list
>>files. I dont know what happens if there are double ups or conflicts. To
>>be safe... dont have any. My apt/sources.list   and apt/vendors.list files
>>are  basically blank. And the information is in  separate files in the .d
>>directories.  For apt.conf the settings  in the  apt/apt.conf override
>>those in apt/apt.conf.d/apt.conf.  My guess  is the behaviour is similar
>>for  sources and vendors.
>

>How do I know whether there are conflicts or even just redundancies in the
>sources.list files?  In the planet ccrma list, for e.g., I see components
>like, "os updates", "planetccrma", and "planetcore".  How do I know which
>packages are associated with these entries?  (For kde-redhat, the only
>component name seems to be "stable" ...)

For the contents of sources.list files, follow the instructions as per
each repository's website. The ones mentioned in the repo-config-x files
are a good place to start , but you may want  to add extras for eg if
you want 'testing' , then the appropriate line s will need to be added.

>>>All I'm really trying to ensure is that apt can upgrade any packages that
>>>come from only one repository, but also that it will use the Planet CCRMA
>>>repository for packages that are available from either one.  (This seems
>>>safer, since the newer apt, from kde-redhat, didn't like the unsigned
>>>packages from P. CCRMA.)
>>

>>What I have done is to use the new apt from kde-rehat and install the
>>repo- config files ie
>>repo-config-fedora-1.2-0.fdr.2.rh90
>>repo-config-kde-redhat-1.4-0.fdr.0.rh90
>>repo-config-freshrpms-1.4-0.fdr.0.rh90
>

>What are these and where should I find them?  I don't recognize them.
>They're not in my kde-redhat.list file.

If you are using RH9 they are at
http://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/fedora/9/RPMS.stable/

FC1 only has one
http://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/fedora/1/RPMS.stable/

>>(first backup existing lists.confs etc)
>

>I don't think I have anything called lists.confs ...

Doh! typo ;)    lists, confs etc

>>then copy the ccrma sources.list to apt/sources.list.d/ccrma.list
>

>I can do that ...
>
>>and copy the  the default.conf in /apt/apt.conf.d/ to
>>/apt/apt.conf.d/ccrma.conf
>

>hmmm ... my apt.con.d directory is *empty* right now (!??)

Things will change if you install the above :)