[PlanetCCRMA] mic preamps

C. Kemp franknputer@mindspring.com
Fri Apr 2 12:39:00 2004

If you're going to record piano, harp, etc. you really want to get your hands
on some decent condenser mics. There are a lot of choices these days, and not
all that expensive either. I have a Rode NT2, which is a lovely
large-diaphragm condenser mic that can be had for about $400 new, and I've
heard that the Studio Projects C1 is an excellent choice as well, for about
half as much.

Lots of preamps out there - you'd really have to give me an idea of what your
budget is...but might I suggest that you get a small mixer, like a Mackie,
which has several good preamps in it, and using that. How are you planning on
recording? Straight to computer? How many tracks?

Lotta questions, I know. ;^)   A good place to get advice is the
musicplayer.com forums. There are a lot of professionals who hang out there,
as well as amateurs & everything in between, and if you don't let the
occasional foolishness throw you, you can pick some brains over there.
Particularly check out Phil O'Keefe's Project Studio forum -
http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=27&submit=Go
you'll get good help there.

Cheers -
Christopher Kemp