[PlanetCCRMA] I'm really getting into this -- need input on entry-level pro-quality hardware

Joseph Dell'Orfano fullgo@dellorfano.net
Sat Apr 3 21:22:00 2004

Brian,

I am using the M-audio Delta 1010-LT card. This has 10 in and 10 out
including 2 balanced XLRs, SPDIF, MIDI in and out. I paid about $250 for
it. It is $279 on Musician's Friend.

This card is completely supported by alsa. My machine is running RH 8.0
with CCRMA installed. The alsa driver includes a mixer that lets you
control the onboard mixer, allowing you to get h/w monitoring for
zero-latency when you are recording. This works great with Ardour, for
example.

>From reading this list in addition to linux-audio-user, it seems that
M-audio is well supported. I believe RME is supported well. I thought
most of the Event cards were also supported. My card is a PCI card and
this seems to be the best option. Firewire devices are barely supported
and I don't know too much about the USB devices out there.

Good luck with your build-out! I am very happy with the performance of
my linux DAW. Absolutely everything you need is on Planet CCRMA.
Fernando does a great job!

-Joe