[PlanetCCRMA] "apt-get dist-upgrade" wants to remove my lovely vlc

Wed Apr 14 11:54:20 2004

> # apt-get update
> # apt-get dist-upgrade
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Calculating Upgrade... Done
> The following packages will be upgraded
>   caps ethereal ethereal-gnome hydrogen libsamplerate libsndfile
> lilypond
>   lilypond-documentation noteedit rosegarden4 snd snd-motif snd-utils
> specimen
>   speex spiralsynthmodular squid stk timemachine
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   vlc
> 19 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 removed and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 36.3MB of archives.
> After unpacking 9734kB disk space will be freed.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
> Abort.
>
> I don't want vlc to go, it's lovely.  Why does apt-get want to remove
> it?
>
> Is it possible for vlc to be incorporated into PlanetCCRMA?

It could be, I guess. "Not enough time" is the usual excuse :-)

Which version of vlc did you install? Where did it come from? There must
be an incompatibility in one of the libraries that it needs. You could
try to install the suggested packages one by one to see which one boots
off vlc (so that we can know which library is the culprit).

-- Fernando