[PlanetCCRMA] Installing src.rpms instead

Peter Howard pjh@coastal.net.au
Sun Apr 18 15:04:02 2004

--=-fele551JY5Ys00YGZHYS

On Sun, 2004-04-18 at 04:24, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > Has the topic of installing src.rpms with synaptic or apt-get been disc=
ussed=20
> > already? I've been searching on this topic lately and end up finding ol=
d,=20
> > conflicting, or just incomprehensible pages on the web.
> > Is installing packages like Zynaddsubfx or alsamodularsynth via src.rpm=
 more=20
> > beneficial than a pre-compiled binary?=20
>=20
> I don't think so. It obviously depends on which software package we are
> talking about. Some operations could be a little faster but the
> advantage is probably not worth the extra work. I have created
> 686/athlon versions of some packages (like the fftw libraries), I guess
> optimizing libraries make sense as they are used by many other programs.
> Perhaps it would make sense for LADSPA plugins if the software supported
> fine grain control of optimizations (I think Steve was going to do that
> with his swh collection).=20

I have 2 cases in front of me where working from source is necessary

1) The problem I posted on the list before where fluidsynth can't
connect to JACK for its output audio.  I've downloaded the stock sources
for both packaged manually and will (one of these days :) add extra
tracing so I can get more info out of the error (I know the function
where the failure occurs, all that comes out is -1 with no extra error
information set/available in JACK)

2) Having found my old Portman PC/S in the back of a cupboard recently
I'm in the process of patching the changes from=20
http://sourceforge.net/projects/portmanlinux into the CCRMA version of
alsa-drivers.  Which of course requires the source tree to the kernel to
build.

I can (and, of course have) pull this all down manually.  But 'twould be
nice if it could happen via apt-get.

--=20
Peter Howard
pjh@coastal.net.au