[PlanetCCRMA] problem with ALSA and RME multiface

Mark Knecht mknecht@controlnet.com
Fri Aug 13 11:34:02 2004

gryphius.ginsberg wrote:
<SNIP>

> [root@localhost root]# jackd -d alsa
> jackd 0.98.0
> Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
>
> JACK compiled with System V SHM support
> creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
> ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1057:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p failed:
> No such device
> jackd: pcm.c:690: snd_pcm_nonblock: Assertion `pcm' failed.
> Abandon

Strangely enough, I found this response by Googling:

http://ccrma-mail.stanford.edu/pipermail/planetccrma/2004-May/005113.html

(Strangely enough since I write the response. Knew I'd seen this error
before...)

Could you double check:

1) Run dmesg and look to see that there are no error messages concerning
the hdsp driver.

2) Run lsmod and ensure that the hdsp driver is actually loaded.

Your modules.conf file looks good enough, but if there driver is failing
to load for some reason, such as an unsupported PCI device code, then
this could happen.

> [root@localhost root]# hdsploader
> hdsploader - firmware loader for RME Hammerfall DSP cards
> Looking for HDSP + Multiface or Digiface cards :
> Card 0 : RME Hammerfall DSP at 0x40800000, irq 11
> Upload firmware for card hw:0
> Firmware uploaded for card hw:0
> Card 1 : SiS SI7012 at 0xa800, irq 11

Is it possible that hdsploader must run before the card's driver is
modprobed?

> why are the twice cards on the same irq ?

That's due to the design of your system, usually. I've lost track. Is
this a desktop with a PCI adapter card, or a laptop with a PCMCIA
adapter card. With the former you can change PCI slots. With the latter
you are stuck. That said there is generally not a big problem sharing
interrupts IF (IF IF IF) the interrupt service routines are well
written. I have no worries about the work Thomas Charbonnel would have
done but I know nothing about the SiS driver. Possibly the two conflict?
If so, consider not loading that driver, or rmmoding that driver, as a
test...

good luck,
Mark