[PlanetCCRMA] aRts and alsa

Bruce Elliott belliott4488@comcast.net
Sun Aug 15 08:47:01 2004

I run KDE, and I believe I also run the artsd sound server, although not
for any reason beyond my not knowing how to turn it off.  I have also
successfully gotten alsa working with my soundcard, can start JACK, and
have managed to launch Ardour, although I haven't been able to record
just yet.

My question is how does the native sound system of KDE (aRts, I assume)
interact with alsa and jack?  Should I be attempting to disable all of
the arts processing in favor of equivalent jack-aware processes?

Something else, which I believe is related, is that I currently have
some .wav sounds that are set to play in response to certain KDE window
management events.  They work just fine until I start jack, after which
they stop, until I log off and then back on again.  It's not important
to me that I hear a noise when I minimize a window, but I'd like to
understand why this happens.

Note: under the KDE Control Center | Sound & Multimedia | System
Notifications | Player Settings ... , I have *not* selected to use an
external player.  Should I set this to a jack-aware player, if jack is
running and I insist on hearing system notifications?

One final thing, which again I think is related - so far I have only a
generic cheap soundcard, into which I've plugged a similarly generic and
cheap microphone, just for testing.  The mike picks up sounds, which I
can hear being echoed through the speakers, but I don't seem to get any
signals that make it to Ardour.  In fact, if I run the aRts Control
Tool, it doesn't show any signal being passed through at all.  Is my
soundcard simply passing the analog signal directly to the speakers?
I've made connections from "alsa_pcm | capture_1" and "alsa_pcm |
capture_2" to Ardour, but I still don't see any signal.

What am I missing?

thanks,
Bruce E.