[PlanetCCRMA] aRts and alsa

Bruce Elliott belliott4488@comcast.net
Sun Aug 15 16:20:01 2004

--------------000407000101090205000509

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

>On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 08:45, Bruce Elliott wrote:
>

>><snip>
>>My question is how does the native sound system of KDE (aRts, I assume)
>>interact with alsa and jack?  Should I be attempting to disable all of
>>the arts processing in favor of equivalent jack-aware processes?
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>Note: under the KDE Control Center | Sound & Multimedia | System
>>Notifications | Player Settings ... , I have *not* selected to use an
>>external player.  Should I set this to a jack-aware player, if jack is
>>running and I insist on hearing system notifications?
>>

>I don't think there is currently a solution to this problem. You can run
>artsd or jack, but not both at the same time. Jack is designed for low
>latency work and does not match very well the requirements for a general
>purpose sound server (or rather, the expectations of what a general
>purpose sound server should be). One solution would be a custom version
>of artsd that would connect to jack as a sound server. But keep in mind
>that for the kind of usage that Jack was designed for, a random sound
>coming from a desktop operation and mixed with the mixdown of your audio
>session would be unacceptable.

Ah - I'd suspected as much.  Since I am not capable of writing a
jack-compatible version of artsd, the issue of system noises entering
audio processing is academic, although I would have hoped to 'unplug'
artsd from jack when doing any real audio work.

Another approach I'm thinking about is to keep my current, very basic
sound card, just to drive a pair of small 'PC speakers', after I get a
higher-quality sound card for audio work.  Will I be able to have the
artsd server work with the old card, sending system notifications to the
PC speakers (and only to them), and to have jack run the new card, which
will presumably be connected to a better playback system, for audio
work?  I think I'm asking if alsa will let me associate each soundcard
module with a different sound server (?).

Thanks again,
Bruce

--------------000407000101090205000509

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:<br>
 cite="mid1092606431.7498.11.camel@cmn37.stanford.edu">
  <pre wrap="">On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 08:45, Bruce Elliott wrote:
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">&lt;snip&gt;
My question is how does the native sound system of KDE (aRts, I assume)
interact with alsa and jack?  Should I be attempting to disable all of
the arts processing in favor of equivalent jack-aware processes?

&lt;snip&gt;</pre>
    <pre wrap="">Note: under the KDE Control Center | Sound &amp; Multimedia | System
  <pre wrap=""><!---->I don't think there is currently a solution to this problem. You can run
artsd or jack, but not both at the same time. Jack is designed for low
latency work and does not match very well the requirements for a general
purpose sound server (or rather, the expectations of what a general
purpose sound server should be). One solution would be a custom version
of artsd that would connect to jack as a sound server. But keep in mind
that for the kind of usage that Jack was designed for, a random sound
coming from a desktop operation and mixed with the mixdown of your audio
session would be unacceptable.
  </pre>
Ah - I'd suspected as much.&nbsp; Since I am not capable of writing a
jack-compatible version of artsd, the issue of system noises entering
audio processing is academic, although I would have hoped to 'unplug'
artsd from jack when doing any real audio work.<br>
Another approach I'm thinking about is to keep my current, very basic
sound card, just to drive a pair of small 'PC speakers', after I get a
higher-quality sound card for audio work.&nbsp; Will I be able to have the
artsd server work with the old card, sending system notifications to
the PC speakers (and only to them), and to have jack run the new card,
which will presumably be connected to a better playback system, for
audio work?&nbsp; I think I'm asking if alsa will let me associate each
soundcard module with a different sound server (?).<br>
Thanks again,<br>
Bruce<br>

--------------000407000101090205000509--