[PlanetCCRMA] New User: FC1 Install (booting) Problems and possible solutions

Louis Lam lshoujun@yahoo.com
Thu Aug 26 18:48:01 2004

Hi All,

I'm new to this list and tryin to get the Planet to
work on my system.

I've sent a mail to this list regarding the FC1
installation. The problem is that the ata-piix module
was in the modules.conf file and the planetccrma-core
installation didn't go through. Removing that line in
the modules.conf file made the installation possible.

When I try to boot from the planetccrma kernel, the
system hangs at something like:

hde: attached ide-disk driver

I suspect this is due to the kernel detecting a SATA
disk on my system and was unable to load that disk.
I'm running on an intel 875 chipset.

Originally I installed the FC1 onto the SATA disk when
this problem occured, but later reinstalled the OS
onto the PATA drive (hda1) thinking that maybe it
would solve the problem, but it didn't.

Then I tried to install the "capabilities" kernel, it
booted fine. But when I checked the "lowlatency" file
in the /proc system it is not there.

So, I have the following  options/questions that I can
think of:

1. Use the capabilities kernel for low latency audio
work:
  - Do I have to patch the kernel with low
latency/preemptive?

2. Try to get the ccrma kernel to work with my system

  - recompile kernel the only option?

3. Any other solution to this problem?

In both cases seems like I have to recompile the
kernel anyway.

Please advice, thanks a lot. I really appreciate it

Louis