[PlanetCCRMA] Regarding NoteEdit, Finale, and rumor

Polashek, Matthew Matthew.Polashek@scottforesman.com
Fri Aug 27 06:21:02 2004

Hi!
I met with the president nd founder of Coda, (Now Makemusic!) a few months
ago at work(Silver Burdett Ginn) and I asked him if they were going to
publish a Linux version of Finale now that they have completed an OSX
version.  He said that his programming and marketing staff had brought the
idea up but that they were not going to make a Linux version at this time.

FYI.

Matt.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Phillips
To: users@lists.agnula.org; LAD Mail; LAU Mail; Planet CCRMA
Sent: 8/27/2004 8:39 AM
Subject: [PlanetCCRMA] Regarding NoteEdit, Finale, and rumor

Greetings:

  I wrote to Joerg Anders, the author of NoteEdit, and he confirmed that

he is leaving off development of NoteEdit. Though I disagree with his
assessment of a possible Linux Finale, it's certainly his right to stay
with or go away from the helm of NoteEdit development, and he can use
any reason he prefers.

  I have *no* confirmation regarding any Linux development at all from
Coda Music, the manufacturers of Finale. Unless someone knows more, I'd
say it's an unfounded rumor. I've read that some users have run Finale
under Wine: I can get it to open but it doesn't work after that.

  There's some discussion whether to keep it in AGNULA and whether
AGNULA members might want to take over the development of NE. I realize
that NE has some possibly irritating dependencies, but I must add that
it is a unique Linux music notation editor with a well-evolved set of
features and an active user base.

  I'm uneasy about the implications that mere rumor compelled Joerg to
abandon NE, though as I said, I respect Joerg's wishes and his
accomplishments with regard to NE. I'm confused as to why Finale's
presence might force a developer to consider his own work a closed case.

After all, Finale is expensive, closed-source, and not necessarily
suited to everyone's work methods. NE is free software, open-source, and

works nicely for me. I would hate to see it disappear.

  Joerg said that since sources are available anyone can continue with
NE development. I hope that happens.

Best regards,

dp