[PlanetCCRMA] New User: FC1 Install (booting) Problems and possible solutions

Fri Aug 27 12:54:01 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 19:40, Louis Lam wrote:
> > My guess is that the ccrma kernel is detecting the drives in a different
> > order and/or naming them differently than the original redhat kernel
> > that was used to install fc1.
> >
> > Exactly what drives do you currently have attached to the system? On
> > which one do you have fc1 installed? Also, if you have multiple installs
> > and/or multiple drives it may be possible to confuse the boot process
> > (depending on how the installs were done).
>
> Currently, I have 2 Disks attached to my system:
>
> The first disk is a normal ide disk, detected as
> /dev/hda during the installation process of FC1. The
> OS is installed onto one of the partitions on this
> disk /dev/hda2.
>
> The Second disk is a SATA disk. Detected as /dev/sda.
> No FC1 elements were installed onto this disk, i
> intend to make it a storage for audio data.

Something I'd try is temporarily disconnecting the sata disk to see if
that is the cause of the booting problem (as I suspect). What do you
have in /etc/fstab?

> All i can tell you now is that i do notice that the
> boot process hangs right after a line that says:
>
> hde: attached ide-disk driver
>
> I don't suppose I have a hde on my system.

That's probably the sata drive, which is now (with the new drivers
included in the newer kernel), hde instead of sda...
-- Fernando