[PlanetCCRMA] Recently updated my RH9 Planet CCRMA machine

R Parker rtp405@yahoo.com
Tue Aug 31 05:00:03 2004

Hi Marv,

Great vibe. I saw the cat pics on your site. We've got
a couple studio animals; Gus, a siamese cat and
knuckles the half dog, half goat thing. Half goat
'cause prior to house training, I'd discover mixed
within his grunt parts of styrofoam coffee cups, the
zippers of ziplock "sandwich" baggies, chunks of
expensive leather shoes and various other bewildering
things.

Knuckles has two musical notes and will reach for the
higher one as the intensity of music increases. It's
fun to direct him; he stands sideways to me, plants
solidly on all four feet, sticks his chest out, cocks
his head, and rolls the eyes in order to watch my
gestulations. My palm pointed down towards his face
means subdue. To increase the intensity of the howl I
turn the palm up and raise the hand higher. He
interprets cues more clearly with greater physical
animation, hmmm, ala orchestral directors. I shit you
not, as I bend my knees and then symoultaneously
straighten them, turn the palm up and raise my hand,
he ducks his head, then raises it up and increases
intensity while reaching for his higher note. He's
easier to produce than me. Fear not though, we humans
got him on diversity. At best, he's a one hit wonder
and only about as poetic as a can of pinto beans.

When entering the studio, he used to run directly to
the vocal both and stare at the headphones until
playback began and then start singing. His favorite
instrument is the harmonica but emergency vehicle
sirens, vocals and drums all get him going. There are
specific parts of several songs that always get him
started. One of the parts is my vocal interpretation
of a really bad lead guitar player. He positively
loves that solo. Guess I'll turn that into a duet
between him and I.

Gus is more vocal than knuckles but it's basically
impossible to direct him. He's an adlib trubador that
busts his moves when he hasn't seen you for a few
hours or wants something--human food, outside, into
his room. If we're really getting into it with
Knuckles, at times there will be four or more studio
rat/humans howling like dogs, Gus will start too.
Somewhere in my empire of crap is a song with Gus and
Knuckles in the vocal booth together.

Anyway, that's my precoffee tale of the day. BTW,
installing jack and any of its clients is generally a
breeze and Fernando has some excellent system tuning
tips in the Planet CCRMA documents. I'm sure you've
already discovered them.

ron

http://users.mikrotec.com/smoak/MonoPlayersStudio.txt