[PlanetCCRMA] Running JACK as non-root user

Kevin Ernste kevine@esm.rochester.edu
Wed Dec 1 17:01:02 2004

> 23:00:29.563 Statistics reset.
> 23:00:29.570 JACK is starting...
> 23:00:29.571 /usr/bin/jackd -v -R -dalsa -dhw:0 -r48000 -p64 -n2

I hope it's this easy, but are you using "jackstart" with qjackctl
(look in "Setup...-->Server Path" in qjackclt)?  I think this is
needed instead of "jackd" for the privelages you want.

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/man/man1/jackstart.1.html

And since you're asking for techniques to make it work, I like to
create a group "audio" and then add myself and or other users to that
group (say it ends up being group 501).  Then when you load realcap do
it with:

/sbin/modprobe allcaps=1 gid=501

You can even just edit the init script that Fernando mentions to make
this load this way at boot.

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/root/etc/rc.d/init.d/realcap

The spot where it says:

REALCAP_OPTS="allcaps=1"