[PlanetCCRMA] custom kernel compilation problems

William M. Quarles walrus@bellsouth.net
Thu Dec 2 14:53:01 2004

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 21:14, William M. Quarles wrote:
>
>>This question is probably more relevant to the Fedora users' list, but
>>unfortunately my access to that list as a newsgroup on Gmane has gone
>>berzerk, and I'm waiting for them to do something with my report.
>>
>>I tried compiling a kernel from the latest Fedora Core 1 kernel-source
>>package.  I ended up with a problem after I rebooted into the new
>>kernel.  Every time that I tried to open a terminal window in Gnome, any
>>user other than root could not get a shell prompt to appear.  Does
>>anybody know of a kernel option that would have something to do with this?
>

> No idea.
>
> The kernel-source-...-.i386.rpm is _not_ the proper source to recreate a
> kernel from scratch. It was meant, I think, to include the stuff needed
> to build external kernel modules that need access to the kernel headers.
> That no longer happens in 2.6.x (there is no kernel-source, headers are
> included in the kernel package itself).
>
> Just like all other packages, kernels in RedHat/Fedora are just that,
> packages, and are created by building them from a source package
> (.src.rpm).
>
> -- Fernando

rpm -qi kernel-source gives:

Description :
The kernel-source package contains the source code files for the Linux
kernel. These source files are needed to build most C programs, since
they depend on the constants defined in the source code. The source
files can also be used to build a custom kernel that is better tuned
to your particular hardware.

So it looks like I *am* using it for one of its intended purposes.
Compiling an official Linux kernel on a Red Hat distribution can cause a
lot of problems.  I've usually had pretty good luck with this approach.

----
Peace,
William