[PlanetCCRMA] Removing apps after doing the audiovideo

Shayne O'Connor forums@machinehasnoagenda.com
Thu Dec 9 00:09:02 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 14:12, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On 08 Dec 2004 18:03:22 -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
> <nando@ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:

> > > http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/installapps.html
> > >
> > > "As long as you have one of these packages installed you will not be
> > > able to individually erase applications that are listed as
> > > requirements. You can, at any point, erase either
> > > planetccrma-audioapps or planetccrma-audiovideoapps and take manual
> > > control of which applications are installed or removed."
> > >
> > > What is meant by 'erase'? There are a large number of things installed
> > > and I need to recapture a bit of disk space.
> >
> > Both packages (planetccrma-audioapps and planetccrma-audiovideoapp) are
> > empty. They only are there to "require" the default packages that I
> > consider "good" for a Planet CCRMA install. So, installing
> > planetccrma-audioapps through apt-get installs all the audio apps as
> > well. In addition, the planetccrma-* are updated every once in a while
> > so that apps that are added to the repository are automatically
> > installed on the next dist-upgrade.
> >
> > If you want to erase (rpm -e) applications that were installed through
> > either of the planetccrma-* packages then you have to first erase the
> > planetccrma-* that pulled them in. No harm done (they are empty
> > packages), except that in the future new applications will not be
> > automatically installed.
> >
> > This is a good incantation if you want to see which packages are using a
> > lot of disk space:
> >
> >   rpm -q -a --qf "%{SIZE}  %{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}\n" | sort -n
> >
> > This will output a list of all packages, sorted by installed size.
> >
> > -- Fernando
>
> First, thanks for the response and the command hint. That's helpful.
>
> Is there possibly a dependency bug somewhere? I found I had a number
> of kernels installed that I'm not using. Getting rid of them would
> save about 200MB so I started to work on that in Synaptic. After my
> first round of removals I'm down to the point where I have the
> following installed:
>
> 34734355  kernel-2.6.5-1.358
> 42842211  kernel-2.6.8.1-1.520.1vR9.ll.rhfc2.ccrma
> 43805516  kernel-2.6.8.1-1.520.2vS7.ll.rhfc2.ccrma
> 50446714  kernel-module-alsa-2.6.8.1-1.520.1vR9.ll.rhfc2.ccrma-1.0.6a-1.cvs.rhfc2.ccrma
> 52103757  kernel-module-alsa-2.6.8.1-1.520.2vS7.ll.rhfc2.ccrma-1.0.7-0.rc1.1.cvs.rhfc2.ccrma
>
> Now, I'm not going to run 1vR9.ll as it didn't work well for me. 2vS7
> is working great, at least when I set the interrupts up by hand. I
> tell Synaptic to remove 1vR9 and it then tells me it's doing to
> install kernel-smp---- 1vR9
>
> Why can't I get rid of that kernel revision completely?

i was having the exact same problem - i think i remember fixing it
previously by erasing all the repositories from sources.list, then do a
"refresh" in synaptic, then try uninstalling that particular kernel
again ... maybe it will let you ... then you can put your sources.list
back together :)

btw - what's the difference between all the 2.6.8 kernels in planetedge?
i'm using the R9 one at the moment, which is doing pretty fine (not too
much testing yet) - but i'd like to try out a different version to see
if i can memory lock jack while running jack_fst ...

shayne