[PlanetCCRMA] Re: OT - General FC2/RPM/apt question

Brad Fuller brad@sonaural.com
Fri Dec 10 08:58:03 2004

--------------050106020101070507080107

Mark Knecht wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 08:53:30 +0100, Artem Baguinski <artm@v2.nl> wrote:
>

>>Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> writes:

>>>I had not tried yum before. I managed to get samba and samba-swat
>>>installed pretty painlessly. Apparently this just defaults to the same
>>>servers that the redhat-update app goes to. Cool by me.
>>>

>>Doesn't simultaneous use of apt (for PlanetCCRMA) and yum (for the
>>rest) lead to some confusion of dependencies? I'm very new to rpm
>>based systems and I haven't figured yet what's exactly the devision of
>>labour between rpm and apt/yum.
>>

>Doesn't appear to. I loaded some Samba stuff yesterday using yum.
>Checking in Synaptic this morning it all shows up so apparently they
>use the same database.

Hmmm... I always thought that I had to do an update for apt or yum to
update the their respective dBs -- as in: when I use yum, I "yum update"
first so that if I previously used apt-get I would get the latest RPM
updates from the apt-get install.

brad

--------------050106020101070507080107

<head>
</head>
Mark Knecht wrote:
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 08:53:30 +0100, Artem Baguinski <a
 class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:artm@v2.nl">&lt;artm@v2.nl&gt;</a> wrote:
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Mark Knecht <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
 href="mailto:markknecht@gmail.com">&lt;markknecht@gmail.com&gt;</a> writes:

    </pre>
      <pre wrap="">On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 15:15:31 -0800, Brad Fuller <a
 class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:brad@sonaural.com">&lt;brad@sonaural.com&gt;</a> wrote:
      </pre>
        <pre wrap=""> the synaptic app has a nice way of configuring the repositories. It's easy
to configure.
 I'd start there. I'm sure many here will reply with their favorite repos
from p.c. to freshrpms.net

        </pre>
      <pre wrap="">I had not tried yum before. I managed to get samba and samba-swat
installed pretty painlessly. Apparently this just defaults to the same
servers that the redhat-update app goes to. Cool by me.
      </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Doesn't simultaneous use of apt (for PlanetCCRMA) and yum (for the

  <pre wrap=""><!---->Doesn't appear to. I loaded some Samba stuff yesterday using yum.
Checking in Synaptic this morning it all shows up so apparently they
use the same database.
  </pre>
Hmmm... I always thought that I had to do an update for apt or yum to
update the their respective dBs -- as in: when I use yum, I "yum
update" first so that if I previously used apt-get I would get the
latest RPM updates from the apt-get install.<br>
brad<br>

--------------050106020101070507080107--