[PlanetCCRMA] a couple of questions re CCRMA on a network

Fri Dec 10 10:32:01 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 10:12, JakeHarries@aol.com wrote:
> Hi
> I've installed CCRMA RH 9 on a couple of pcs at Access Space(www.lowtech.org)
> in Sheffield, UK. The idea is that the P3 machines running the CCRMA low
> latency kernel are to be part of the network there. Can anyone help with
> the questions below?
>
> Many thanks
> Jake
>
> Subj:   Planet CCRMA questions
> Date:   10/12/2004 17:17:56 GMT Standard Time
> From:   james@lowtech.org <mailto:james@lowtech.org>
> To: JakeHarries@aol.com <mailto:JakeHarries@aol.com>
>
> Hi Jake,
>
> Here (below) are the two questions I have about CCRMA - if you can pass
> them on to the CCRMA list I'd appreciate it!
>
> Cheers,
>
> James
>
> ======
> The issues are twofold:
>
> (1) Can I use CCRMA as an NFS Client? Currently I have a (working!) NFS
> server exporting /home, but when I try to mount it (from the client, as
> root):
>
> root$ mount 192.168.1.2:/home /mnt/fileserver
>
> Then I get an RPC timeout.
>
> Why? Looking at the loaded modules, they include sunrpc and lockd, but
> not 'nfs' by default. However, even if I "insmod nfs" before I try to
> mount the remote filesystem, I still get the RPC timeout.
>
> I have other NFS clients running on the network - and they mount the
> server no problem. Yes, I have made sure I've "mkdir /mnt/fileserver" on
> the client... Is there something about CCRMA which doesn't like NFS? Or
> is there another module I should insert? Or... what?
>
> That's issue (1) - here's issue (2)...
>
> (2) Can I make CCRMA into a YP (NIS) Client?
>
> I have ypbind installed on the client, and I have a (working) YP server
> set up on the server. I've configured the client's /etc/yp.conf
> correctly, addressing a single IP number for the server (not broadcast)
> and specifying the NIS Domain. I've also set the NIS Domain on the
> client in... /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

I use both (nfs client and yp client under rh9) here at CCRMA with no
problems (running kernel 2.4.26, should be the same for the redhat
capabilities kernels).

> But when I...
>
> root$ service ypbind restart
>
> Then the client won't bind to the server, even though it knows its IP
> number and the relevant NIS Domain. The problem isn't at the server end
> - I have other clients that use it no problem - so why won't it bind?
> >From the client I can even get this annoying message!
>
> root$ rpcinfo -t 192.168.1.2 ypserv
>
> program 100004 version 1 ready and waiting
> program 100004 version 2 ready and waiting

Both problems would suggest that the client is being refused access by
the server. I'm sure you have done this, but just in case, in the case
of nfs look at the exports list in the server to make sure that the
client is included in the list (unless there is no list and everyone is
welcome to mount the exported nfs filesystem). If the client is in the
exports list then I would suspect a firewall in the server. Another
question, I notice that you are trying to mount with ip numbers and not
computer names, it may be necessary for the server to be able to be
resolved into a name (ie: put entries in /etc/hosts with the names if
you don't use dns).

>From the client try to see if you see the ports in the server:
  rpcinfo -p name_of_server.
What is the server and what os is it running? What are the machines that
are successful clients?

BTW, there are no differences in network stuff from a stock rh9 machine
and a Planet CCRMA machine (AFAIK).

-- Fernando