[PlanetCCRMA] Re: OT - General FC2/RPM/apt question

Fri Dec 10 17:10:01 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 23:53, Artem Baguinski wrote:
> Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 15:15:31 -0800, Brad Fuller <brad@sonaural.com> wrote:
> >>  the synaptic app has a nice way of configuring the repositories. It's easy
> >> to configure.
> >>  I'd start there. I'm sure many here will reply with their favorite repos
> >> from p.c. to freshrpms.net
> >>

> > I had not tried yum before. I managed to get samba and samba-swat
> > installed pretty painlessly. Apparently this just defaults to the same
> > servers that the redhat-update app goes to. Cool by me.
>
> Doesn't simultaneous use of apt (for PlanetCCRMA) and yum (for the
> rest) lead to some confusion of dependencies? I'm very new to rpm
> based systems and I haven't figured yet what's exactly the devision of
> labour between rpm and apt/yum.

The dependencies are local to your computer, are independent of yum and
apt, and are stored in a database maintained by rpm that reflects the
installed packages in your computer and their dependencies. Both yum and
apt read that information to find out what is installed. Both also read
additional information from the repositories to know what is available
and what each available package requires. From the local information and
the repository information they devise a strategy to try to install the
packages the user wants, plus all additional requirements.

-- Fernando