[PlanetCCRMA] ccrma on multiple machines

Aaron Heller heller@AI.SRI.COM
Mon Dec 13 11:06:01 2004

--On Monday, December 13, 2004 17:36 +0000 Jamie Bullock
<jamie@postlude.co.uk> wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I currently run FC2/planetccrma on both my desktop and my laptop, and
> keep these up-to-date separately using synaptic/apt. To save on
> bandwidth (and time), I would like to download new packages on one of
> the machines, and have the other machine obtain its packages from there.
>
> What would people recommend as being the most elegant way of doing this?

What I do is run Squid as a caching proxy server on one machine and then
tell all the machines to use it via the proxy entry in /etc/apt/apt.conf.
The first machine to update causes Squid to fetch the packages from CCRMA
(or wherever sources.list says), then subsequent updates on other machines
get theirs from the cache.  I raised the default cache to 100MB to
accommodate this.