[PlanetCCRMA] alsa-driver upgrade -- synaptic and planetccrma-core

fonse006 fonse006@csusm.edu
Wed Dec 22 12:28:01 2004

>===== Original Message From Brad Fuller <brad@sonaural.com> =====
>Why, when in synaptic, when I select alsa-driver 1.0.6 to be upgraded
>synaptic replies:
>
>To be removed:
>    planetccrma-core
>
>I'm using the 2.6.7-1.437.1.11.rhfc2.ccrma kernel from planetedge
>
>Looking in the planetccrma changelog, I take it that there is some link,
>or some stub or something builtin to this core connecting it with ALSA
>1.0.5? Is that right? How does this actually work?
> Is there a map of core's built, or a diagram of the architecture of
>these builds? (Frankly Fernando, I don't know how you keep this all
>straight. Kudos to you! You definitely have a remarkable skill)
>
>any clues for the clueless would be appreciated!
>
>brad
>
>--

I am not that great at describing this but here goes.  First thing first, alsa
is part of the kernel.  Specifically, alsa is a set of kernel modules that are
compiled against a specific kernel tree.  Rpm is a package management system
that packages precompiled binary object files along with a list of
dependencies.  If your system does not meet all of the dependencies then rpm
will not let you install the file.  Apt-get is a program that keeps track of
repositories of pre packaged binaries (In planet ccrma's case rpm is the
package management, there are several other systems for linux).  Anyway, what
happens when you try to upgrade to the newer alsa is apt, through invoking
rpm, checks the to see that you have the required files on your computer.  If
you do it downloads them and invokes rpm --install which as I am sure you can
guess, installs the package.  If you do not meet the dependencies then apt
tries to see if it can find the required package or packages in its list of
repositories.  If it can, it will tell you that you need to update various
packages, if not then, hmmmm I am not really sure what happens then, but I
assume it tells you that you cannot upgrade.
>From my perspective there are two options that you can take (that will not be
more trouble than they are worth).  First and easiest, install the kernel
version and other files that go with the new alsa.  I would suggest that if
you go this route do not check upgrade on the packages, check install just in
case your system does not boot with the new core.  Second and not much harder,
download and install the src rpm for your kernel, then the source for the alsa
version you want and follow the directions on the alsa website to compile the
alsa modules against your kernel version, install the new version remove the
old and your set.
I hope that helps you out.

Adam