[PlanetCCRMA] FC2 2.6.7 Kernel

Barton Bosch bartonbosch@SoftHome.net
Thu Dec 23 22:18:01 2004

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 18:49, Barton Bosch wrote:
>
>>In trying to sort out CD and DVD burning on FC2 I thought I'd try a
>>2.6.7 kernel.  Where could I find a directory listing of older
>>planet kernels?  It would be preferable to download via ftp or http,
>>the kernel is for a different machine than my web box.
>>
>>rpm.pbone.net/index.php3 lists a kernel-2.6.7-1.494.2.2.i686.rpm for
>>its planet ccrma mirror.  Are there separate athlon 2.6.7 builds or
>>is i686 the correct choice?  Is 2.6.7-1.494 a good selection or is
>>there a better option available?
>

> Look here (I enabled listing of this directory)
> http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirror/fedora/linux/planetedge/2/i386/
>
> The newest version for now is 1.520.2vS7

I gave this one a shot and was actually able to burn a data cdrom
sucessfully.  Unfortunately a couple of DVD-R blanks got coasterized
as well.  Has 1.520.2vS7 been tested WRT data disk burning?

It looks like a 2.6.7 is the next kernel to try now that the
functionality of the hardware has been confirmed (resorted to
windoze).

> There are no separate athlon builds, the internal optimizations for the
> athlon architecture in 2.6.x are selected at runtime.

Thanks for the reminder.  I'd like to take this opportunity to
reiterate my appreciation for your considerable effort in
customizing and packaging all the CCRMA software.  The switch to
Fedora and its accelerated lifecycle is making for quite the
treadmill.  (FC3!?!  I'm still ironing the wrinkles out of FC2 <g>).

If we all were left to our own devices WRT software we might have a
little more Linux wisdom but we'd certainly be making less music and
visual art.  Thanks again.

Barton