[PlanetCCRMA] The results of my not so great tests

fonse006 fonse006@csusm.edu
Wed Dec 29 15:47:02 2004

Hello,
     This email is essentially just a report on my experiences with the latest
kernels the kernels that tried to test were 2.6.9smp, 2.6.10smp,  2.6.10,
2.6.9-2.2.rdt.rhfc2.ccrma, 2.6.9-2.2.rdt.rhfc2.ccrmasmp, and the old
2.6.7-1.437.1.ll.rhfc2.ccrmasmp.
     The way that I tested them was I took a cue from someone else on this
list, I forget who it was, used jack and ardour to record 4 audio tracks each
with four plugins.  Three of the tracks were just background noise, but the
fourth was a midi track that I used to vary the cpu load.  What I will report
is the lowest latency that I was able to achieve under each kernel with the
base tracks running in ardour and myself not raising the cpu load and I will
report how high I had to raise the cpu load in order to get xruns.
stock 2.6.9smp-
latency- 5.33 msec,  xrun-cpuload-about- 65-70%
2.6.9-2.2.rdt.rhfc2.ccrmasmp
was not tested as jack crashed 4 times in a row within 30 seconds of opening
unless I turned realtime off, it did not matter whether I used jackd or
jackstart
2.6.9-2.2.rdt.rhfc2.ccrma
latency- 0.667 msec, xrun-cpuload- 55-60%
2.6.10smp
latency- 2.67 msec,   xrun-cpuload- 90-95%
2.6.10-
latency- 2.67 msec,  xrun-cpuload- 85%
2.6.7-1.437.1.ll.rhfc2.ccrmasmp-
latency- 10.7 msec,  xrun-cpuload- 65%

analysis:
     I think that the easiest thing to say is that things are looking up for
the 2.6 kernel version.  Currently I think that the most usable system is
2.6.10 (that is if you are willing to run all of your audio software as root,
which is not a good idea as a bad bug could bring your system to its knees),
but the reatime-preempt patch delivers one quarter the latency, but there does
seem to be some overhead involved in using the realtime-preempt patch as the
base level cpuload for the realtime preempt patch was much higher than the
rest (quite a bit more that I would expect from just transferring samples 4
times as often. Also at least on my system the something in that kernel makes
the system a lot less stable.  Ardour crashed like 3 times while I was doing
the test, but not at all with any of the other kernels.  For all I know though
this could be a problem with ardour.  Anyway, I think that is all that I had
to say besides that these were very bad tests.  They are not in anyway
scientifically valid.  I only did one test with each kernel and did not test
more than one latency level with each kernel.  Those are just the two problems
with my tests that come to mind right of the top of my head.  Results may
vary.
Cheers,
Adam