[PlanetCCRMA] 1GB memory difficult

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Feb 2 06:29:01 2004

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 09:30:54 +0800, Timo Sivula wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my tragic linux voyage continues. As fluidsynth complained I had too
> little memory I went and invested (a lot of) results of hard working
> money into buying the remaining memory slots full with DDR memory. I
> now have 1 GB of RAM and I thought life would become easier.
>
> Now the PC hangs when I start qjackqtl. The Caps lock and Scroll lock
> leds start blinking, but thats all. The leds blink, but the PC is
> otherwise unresponsive. Mouse does not move, keyboard is not adhered
> to, and so on.

You might want to run memtest86 (I think its built into fedora boot disks
now) to check that ram is fitted and working OK, though if only qjackctl
is causing it to die I expect is a software problem.

> Any clues why this might be happening? Previously I was runnign 400 MB
> of RAM and everything run smoothly, except fluidsynth.

Is your swap setup OK? (try running "free") If fluidsynth was complaining
of not enough memory thats probably a bad sign. Ideally you should have
twice as much swap as physical ram, you definatly shouldn't have less swap
that physical.

- Steve