[PlanetCCRMA] 1GB memory difficult

Eli Cantu eli@then7.com
Tue Feb 3 02:26:03 2004

Quoting Louis van Dompselaar <louis@dompselaar.org>:

> > Sometimes mixing brands of dimms can be a problem. Some motherboards just
> aren't
> > able to use every dimm slot, period.
>
> My Asus A7V8X actually says so in the manual.  Max 4 modules
> for PC2700 DDR and max 2 for PC3200.  I think it actually says
> max 1 DDR400 in the BIOS.

despite what your manual states, it's a very common issue.

there is no shortage of ppl that have memory issues with that board.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=A7V8X++dimms&btnG=Google+Search

the following faq i found, seems to suggest that this board is as picky as any
i've seen, when it comes to memory...

A7V8X-X with memory support
---------------------------
Problem:
As I know, A7V8X-X can support up to PC3200. However, I found one note
in user's manual: "PC3200 maximum to 2 banks only and PC2700 maximum to
4 banks only"  Could you explain more in detail?

Answer:
Simply to say, one single sided DIMM means one bank, one double sided DIMM
means two banks, two single sided DIMMs means two banks, etc.
Hence, e.g. you can install one pcs double sided PC3200 or two pcs single
sided PC3200

Does A7V8X-X support AMD Barton CPU?
------------------------------------
Problem:
Does A7V8X-X support AMD Barton CPU?

Answer:
Yes, A7V8X-X can support AMD Athlon XP model 10 (Barton) CPU.

Does A7V8X-X support DDR400 (PC3200) memory?
Problem:
Does A7V8X-X support DDR400 (PC3200) memory?

Answer:
Yes, A7V8X-X can support DDR400 (PC3200) memory. Due to the chipset
limitation, it can only support?2 banks DDR400, and DDR400 memory only
work with 200/266MHz FSB CPU.

DDR 400 runs on 333MHz with 333MHz FSB CPU on A7V8X-X
Problem:
The DDR 400 memory can only run?at 333MHz when I use AMD 333MHz FSB CPU
on A7V8X-X. Why?

Answer:
Due to the chipset limitation, if you use 333MHz FSB CPU the system
memory will only supports DDR 333 only. Thus, DDR 400 memory will be
downgraded to 333MHz, meanwhile DDR 200/266 memory will be overclocked
to 333MHz. This may cause system to be unstable.

3 DDR333 memory cause system unstable on A7V8X-X
Problem:
When I install 3 DDR333 (PC2700) DIMMs on A7V8X-X, the system
becomes unstable. But if I remove one, the system works properly. Why?

Answer:
Due to the chipset limitation, A7V8X-X supports?4 banks DDR333 max. It
means you may have to use 3 single-bank DDR333 DIMMs or 2 single-bank
with?one dual-bank DDR333 DIMMs max. Please contact with?the memory
manufacturer to confirm with?the memory bank Spec. In addition, please
use?DDR333 memory in the QVL section on ASUS web or?A7V8X-X manual.

Does A7V8X-X support ECC memory?
Problem:
Does A7V8X-X support ECC memory?

Answer:
No, A7V8X-X only supports non-ECC unbuffered DDR SDRAM.