[PlanetCCRMA] issues starting jack as root

Tim Currie tim@algernonsystems.com
Sat Feb 7 10:48:01 2004

Hi!
   First, let me say thanks to all of you for a) putting together Planet
CCRMA; it's made me glad I swithced to Linux, and b) for all the help
you provide through this forum; it's helped tremendously with getting
things running.
   I have one small (I think) problem. I tinkered with jack and got it
running with both of my sound cards, but I had drop-outs and such, so I
decided to run it as root. The problem I have now is that only clients
(such as the incredible Ardour) started as root can connect to the jack
server.
   So, my question is this: if I start jack as root, am I required to
run all my other stuff as root as well? Or, is there a way to get
non-root clients to connect to a root-owned jack server?

Thanks in advance!

-Tim

p.s. some iseful info:

[root@hamster root]# uname -a
Linux hamster 2.4.24-1.ll.rh90.ccrmasmp #1 SMP Mon Jan 5 14:23:25 PST
2004 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

[root@hamster root]# jackstart -R -d alsa -d hw:0 -p 512 -n 32 -r 44100
back from read, ret = 1 errno == Success
jackd 0.94.0
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

apparent rate = 44100
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|512|32|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|rt|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 44100Hz, period = 512 frames, buffer = 32 periods
Couldn't open hw:0 for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
Couldn't open hw:0 for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead

--
Proprietary software is like petrified wood. It used to be alive, but
then it was fixed in time and put in a box. GNU/Linux software, in