[PlanetCCRMA] latest update

tom poe tompoe@amihost.com
Sat Feb 7 19:41:02 2004

Hi:  I am sitting with RH8.0, sound card, video card, 56k modem, and
Fernando's wonderful CCRMA instructions.  We're talking low-end low
quality hardware, easily obtainable from donors.  Question, is, can
someone like me with no experience beyond a user enthusiasm, load CCRMA
at home and have a recording studio?

The answer is unequivocally, YES!

I have worked through the steps, and, with a four-hour plus download of
audio-video apps using apt-get, I was able to have a perfect, error-free
install of CCRMA at home.  The low-latency kernel was also in that
timeframe, as well.  But, hey, two clicks of the mouse, and we're in
business.  Who can complain?  Nice, eh?

April 15 to 21 is creativity-innovation week.
http://www.creativityday.org/

Here's what I want to do with this computer.  I want to try and convince
one or more schools to let me set up the computer, have kids stand in
line, make a recording, play it back, then register the recording in the
Public Domain, using Creative Commons, print out a "Deed" for them,
place the recording in www.archive.org .

With that in mind, can anyone break out the part about "make the
recording", in terms of the following:
1] turn the computer on
2] bring up the first app to be used to make the recording
3] bring up the second app to be used to play back the recording
4] save the file in appropriate formats
5] possibly create the musical score that can be printed out

Step two should be multiple steps, right?  In other words, I need to
create the rhythm section and save that file, and use it with step 3?

Any help appreciated.
Tom