[PlanetCCRMA] pcm error

Sun Feb 8 13:01:25 2004

> I installed Fedora Core1 and CCRMA packages.
>
> I get sound with my rme Hammerfall soundcard.

What is it you are using to test sound?

> But if i start pd i get following error message:
>
> couldn't open MIDI input device 0
> couldn't open MIDI output device 0
> opened 0 MIDI input device(s) and 0 MIDI output device(s).
> snd_pcm_open (input): No such device
> snd_pcm_open (output): No such device
> pd: pcm.c:952: snd_pcm_start: Assertion `pcm' failed.
> Pd: signal 6
> socket receive error: Connection reset by peer (104)
> Abgebrochen
>
> also if i want to start jack with:
>
> jackstart -R -d alsa -d hw -r 44100
>
> i get error messages like:
>
> JACK compiled with System V SHM support
> apparent rate = 44100
> creating alsa driver ... hw|hw|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|rt|32bit
> jackstart: pcm.c:687: snd_pcm_nonblock: Assertion `pcm' failed.
> Abgebrochen
>
> How can i load the snd-pcm part ?

It does not look like alsa is running. Have you configured alsa as per
the instructions in the web site? Is alsa starting correctly? (for
example, do you have a directory named "/proc/asound"?). What are the
contents of your /etc/modules.conf? What kernel modules do you have
loaded? ("/sbin/lsmod")

-- Fernando