[PlanetCCRMA] issues starting jack as root

J. Scott Amort jsamort@shaw.ca
Mon Feb 9 08:47:00 2004

Hi Tim,

On Sun, 2004-02-08 at 13:09, Tim Currie wrote:
> Ok! Further tinkering corrected the problem (sort of). I finally ended
> up using qjackctl to start it, with parameters that work out to this:
>
> jackstart -P1 -t500 -dalsa -dhw:0 -r44100 -p512 -n2 -H -M
>
> which, of course, doesn't use the real-time thingamjig, though for the
> moment it seems to be working ok. I'd like to run jackd in real-time
> mode, but, when I click the real-time button, jackd is started but none
> of my clients can connect. Now what?!?

Hmmm... strange.  You are running jack as a regular user (and starting
the clients from the same user)?  What do the messages say from jackd
when you try to connect a client (i.e. click on the messages button from
qjackctl or run jack with the -v flag and check the terminal output)?

> So, anyway... Now on to the next stupid question: Why won't either of my
> hardware synths work? As I mentoned, I have two sound cards:
>
> 02:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1371 [AudioPCI-97] (rev 08)
> 02:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24
> [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 01)
>
> They both have external game/MIDI ports and, allegedly, internal MIDI
> synthesizers. Now, I don't actually own any MIDI gear anymore (I gave up
> keyboard many long years ago to concentrate on guitar), so I have no way
>   to test if the external ports work, nor am I particularly interested
> in using them, so it's a moot point anyway. I'd really like to use the
> alleged built in synths but I can't seem to get rosegarden to work with
> them. In point of fact, I'm not even sure ALSA is set up to provide
> services for them. Any guesses?

I don't use MIDI very often, but I will suggest that any on-board synth
is probably going to be very crude.  Have a look at some of the software
synths Fernando has included with the planet.

Cheers,

Scott

PS You sent this to me directly, so I've replied back to the list just
in case anyone else may have some advice (especially concerning the MIDI
point).  It's usually best to keep these discussions on-list.