[Agnula-Developers] Re: [PlanetCCRMA] Planet CCRMA menu

Thu Feb 12 09:02:01 2004

> >     >> I have a suggestion: a "custom" Planet CCRMA menu for
> >     >> KDE/Gnome. Most of "GUI" Planet programs have menu links but
> >     >> they are messy located into several groups (Sound & Video,
> >     >> Other, Graphics, More Apps...). The idea is to create a Planet
> >     >> CCRMA menu and submenus accordingly the applications
> >     >> characteristics (something like "roadmap" groups: Multitrack
> >     >> Recorders, Patch Bays, Sound Editors, Video Players,...) for
> >     >> easier access.
> >
> >     fll> It is good idea I've also been thinking about.

Finally working on it...

> > What do you think about trying to find a  common structure amongst the
> > various audio-related  distributions  and/or package sets   out there?
> > I'm thinking about AGNULA/DeMuDi, AGNULA/RehMuDi, the Mandrake project
> > I can't manage to remember  the name of, SuSE  audio packages (is it a
> > port of PlanetCCRMA?  I'm not sure), Debian 'stock', and so on..
> >
> > I'm a  big fan   of harmonization (at  least in   this field) if  it's
> > possible.  Of course,  I'm not talking about eliminating  differences.
> > I just  think  that if  we manage to   find a common way   to organize
> > applications, users  won't  feel too  surprised  when  they  happen to
> > switch from a distribution to another.
> >
> Talking only about DeMuDi there is a demudi-task package which,
> beside installing all debian/demudi sound packages, provides a
> custom menu file of the form:
>
> Sound
>   CD utils
>   Compression
>   DJing
>   Digital Processing
>   Editing
>   MIDI
>   Notation
>   Synthesis
>
> Each package is assigned to a Sound subsection  (the association
> is generated statically by a script which parses the package
> description)

Do you have a complete list of the categories, or a place where I can
look them up? As Andrea mentioned it would be nice to be able to more or
less be consistent.

I'm currently working on a menu system for Planet CCRMA, the new cvs
version of qjackctl makes it possible to finally start Jack applications
from a menu! (thanks to Rui). For now I have just testing one submenu
called (surprise!) "Jack Applications" :-)

-- Fernando